- Remove the timing chain cover, as previously detailed in the appropriate
- Inspect the oil seal for signs of wear, leakage, or damage.
- If worn, pry the old oil seal out, using a suitable pry bar. Remove it toward
the front of the cover.
NOTE: Once the oil seal has been removed, it must be replaced
with a new one.
- Use a socket, pipe, or block of wood and a hammer to drift the oil seal
into place. Work from the front of the cover.
Be extremely careful not to damage the seal or else it will leak.
- Install the timing chain cover as previously outlined.
NOTE: When repairing the oil pump, the oil pan and strainer
should be removed and cleaned.
- Remove the fan shroud and fan assembly.
- Remove all drive belts.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Unbolt the oil pump from the front cover and remove.
- Using a suitable pry bar, remove the old oil seal from the pump.
- Lightly oil the new seal, and using an old socket or block of wood and hammer,
carefully drive the new seal into place, working from the front of the pump.
NOTE: The following procedure covers front oil seal and oil
pump seal removal with the front timing belt case removed from the block. It
is possible to remove the seal with the case installed, but a special service
tool is required.
- Remove the timing belt covers, timing belt assembly and lower timing pulleys
from the engine.
- Remove the timing belt case (the rear section of the timing belt cover)
from the cylinder block.
- Using a small pry bar, remove the front oil seal and the pump drive oil
seal. Do not gouge the case.
- Apply a multi-purpose grease to the lips of the new oil seals. Carefully
install the new seals using an old socket or oil seal tool.
|Fig. 1: Exploded view of the timing chain and front
cover assembly — 20R, 22R, 22R-E and 22R-TE engines
|Fig. 2: Exploded view of the timing belt and front
cover assembly — 1L, 2L, and 2L-T engines
|Fig. 3: Exploded view of the timing gear and front
cover assembly — F, 2F and 3F-E engines
|Fig. 4: Exploded view of the timing belt and front
cover assembly — 3VZ-E engine